Provides Rehabilitation services for the Down East Maine area
The Rehabilitation Department at Down East Community Hospital is one of the most comprehensive programs in Washington County. Our team of highly skilled, caring and professional therapists provide quality inpatient and outpatient Physical, Occupational and Speech therapy.
Outpatient treatment visits are scheduled for 45 minutes with a licensed therapist in a private treatment room. All treatment plans of care are directly communicated with your primary care provider. This communication is essential to providing quality comprehensive care.
In addition to treatment at our outpatient facility, our team provides skilled physical, occupational and speech therapy services in the inpatient setting.
Speech Therapy services are also provided at Eastport Memorial Nursing Home.
- LSVT for Parkinson’s Disease – a Physical therapist certified in LSVT BIG provides a standardized treatment protocol developed for Parkinson’s Disease. The program is customized to the unique goals of each patient including both gross and fine motor skills. It can be adapted or progressed to meet each patient’s needs across a range of disease severity and presenting impairments.
- Lymphedema Program – a Physical therapist provides Manual Lymphatic Drainage techniques for the treatment of swollen extremities that interfere with activities of daily living that are frequently present after cancer surgeries or in patients with vascular problems. Our certified therapist can also measure and fit for custom stockings.
- Swallowing Evaluations – Our Speech Therapist evaluates and develops treatment strategies for patients with swallowing problems.
- Pelvic Health – a Physical therapist certified in pelvic health provides treatment for both males and females of all ages for conditions related to pelvic health including urinary and fecal incontinence, overactive bladder (urinary frequency/urgency), constipation, pelvic pain, pelvic organ prolapse, bed wetting and prenatal and postpartum pain.
- Vestibular Rehabilitation – Patients with dizziness, vertigo or unsteady movement caused by inner ear problems are evaluated and treated with specialized techniques, such as the Epley maneuver. They are also instructed in home exercise program to improve symptoms, balance, safety and mobility.
Clinic Hours and Services:
Inpatient services are available five days per week. Inpatient physical therapy services are available 6 days per week.
Outpatient services are available at our off-campus location at 76 Dublin Street Machias, ME 04654. Appointments are available from 7:30am-4:15pm. Please call for availability and to schedule.
All services are provided with a physician’s referral. All major insurances are accepted with authorized approval from the carrier.
Down East Community’s Rehabilitation Department looks forward to working with you to improve your function and overall health!