Providing womens services to the Ellsworth, Bar Harbor, and Down East regions of Maine
The providers at The Women’s Health Center at Down East Community Hospital specialize in delivering babies and caring for a woman’s special medical needs at every stage of her life. We are proud of the personalized, convenient health care we provide.
Women have special health challenges. At Down East Community Hospital’s Women’s Health Center, we offer comprehensive general and specialized gynecological services. Additionally, we manage high risk pregnancies as well as expecting mothers with substance abuse treatment with Subutex.
- Yearly Pap and Gynecological exam
- Mammograms as determined by your age and family history
- Oral contraceptives/birth control pills
- Depo-Provera injections
- Mirena and Paraguard Intrauterine devices (IUD)
- Tubal ligation surgery
- Essure procedure (non-invasive) permanent sterilization method
- Treatments for menstrual irregularities
- Infertility treatments
- Pelvic pain
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Menopause related issues
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Specialized surgeries including:
- Female urinary incontinence procedures
- Bladder prolapse surgery
- Rectal prolapse surgery
- Uterine prolapse surgery
- State-of-the-art, non-invasive laparoscopic hysterectomies
General OB Services
Whether you are already expecting a baby or hoping to become pregnant, you will find the comprehensive care you need at the Women’s Health Center. For expectant mothers, we offer a complete range of pre-natal services designed to ensure the health and well-being of mom and baby throughout the pregnancy.
We provide both caesarean section and vaginal birth after caesarean section delivery options for our pregnant patients. In addition, our doctors are experienced in the latest treatments and medical technologies for managing high-risk pregnancies, brought about by factors such as:
- Multiple gestation (twins, triplets, etc.)
- History of previous premature births
- Multiple miscarriages
- Age 40-plus pregnancies
And, for women who are having difficulty conceiving, we offer the latest in infertility treatments.
We also offer a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic surgical procedures including, but not limited to:
Non-robot assisted laparoscopic total hysterectomy (when compared with robot assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy there is substantial financial savings with same day surgery and minimal blood loss, plus most patients can go back to work in 2 weeks).
- Removal of fibroids using laparoscopic techniques
- Dilation and curettage
- Endometrial ablation and biopsy
- Transvaginal obturator tape bladder repair for incontinence
- Treatment of pelvic floor abnormalities
For women who are having difficulty conceiving, we offer the latest in infertility treatments.
It’s hydrotherapy…an option we’re excited to offer.
Hydrotherapy utilizes the soothing properties of warm water immersion to relax the patient and to help ease patient discomfort and anxiety while in labor.
Total immersion produces buoyancy which creates a hydronamic lift, reducing gravitational pull and hydrostatic pressure equalizes the pressure on the body below the water surface which helps to reduce pain and allows patients to easily change positions such as knee to chest, seated, and standing. Please contact us if you would like more information.
How To Access The Women’s Health Center
Our office hours are 8:00am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday by appointment only. Please call 255-0400 to schedule an appointment.
The Women’s Health Center is located on the Down East Community Campus – it is the first building on the left as you enter the main hospital drive.